Monday, October 5, 2009

Quinua y Quechua

This week, I spent 5 days in the neighboring district of Chincheros. It was the first time that I got a really good dose of Andina culture, which includes both quinua and Quechua (great Q words!). QUINUA is a delicious grain used to cook many tasty and nutritious dishes. I had never tried it before coming to Peru, but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite foods here. QUECHUA is the tricky native language of the people of the Andes. It sounds very beautiful, and I have been told over and over again that the meanings of words just can’t be explained in any other language because it is so emotional and deep. I am enchanted, and it is near the top of my list of languages I would like to learn. For right now, everyone gets a big kick out of hearing me use my limited phrases, especially “Leave me alone!” when guys get annoying ☺

Unfortunately, another common aspect of Andina culture is domestic violence. For 4 of my days in Chincheros, I was visiting the local women’s crisis center. I heard many tragic stories during this time as women came to the center to report various kinds of physical, psychological, and sexual violence. I saw many tears. I also started to understand the complexity of the problem of violence in this rural area of Peru. Women who had come in just a week prior were now saying that they wanted to forget the whole thing and just go back to normal life with their husband or the man they live with. At first this made me mad, thinking about the cycle of violence and the ways women are sucked back into unhealthy relationships. But as I started to listen a little more closely, I heard more than just deception. I heard real desire for reconciliation. I heard the desperation of economic dependence. And most of all, I heard the expression of deep love for sons and daughters who had already suffered enough.

Many of the women I met and the stories I heard made me feel depressed. I sat in on one home visit looking around at the messy house, watching an unkempt 3 year old run around throwing fruit on the floor while the social worker tried to tell her pregnant mother that it would be ok even though her boyfriend who used to beat her had just left and she didn’t know if he was coming back, and I just wanted to cry. I complimented a young woman on the bracelet she was wearing and noticed her bright, beautiful smile, and then listened to her talk about how her boyfriend and his brother beat her in front of her 2 children, ages 3 and 4. She’s 21, just like me. How could anyone beat a pregnant woman? How dare human beings treat each other violently in front of children?

However, I also found a lot of hope in Chincheros. I was amazed to find that when I asked the various CEM (Centro Emergencia Mujer – Women’s Emergency Center) employees how they felt about their jobs, every single person told me they love what they do. Each one shared that it is hard to hear stories of women suffering, but that it is just so fulfilling to be able to help them. I was very inspired by their passion and the satisfaction they find in this work.

I also had the joyful privilege of getting to know my Peruvian grandmother “Mamacha,” who lives in Chincheros. She is my Mamá’s Mamá ☺. I loved spending time with her, although it made me miss my real grandmothers a lot! Mamacha generously welcomed me into her home and freely shared about her vibrant relationship with Christ. It was such a blessing to be cared for, and to listen to her stories. It was also particularly relevant for me to learn about her pain as a formerly-battered woman. She lived several years in fear, and not only suffered from physical beatings herself, but also bore the burdens of watching her 8 children being beaten as well. What amazed me was that one of the very first things she told me was that she met Jesus through the violence of her husband. “We cry now, but He says that one day He will wipe the tears from our eyes!” she told me. How can I despair when this woman, who understands the pain of battered women far more intimately than I do, finds such joy and hope in our Savior?

I am so thankful that I got to know Mamacha during this time, and that I have been given new hope in the face of extreme pain. I am also thankful to have had the opportunity to get to know the Andina culture a little better. Observing it more closely was both heartbreaking and lifegiving. I am excited to learn more, and to keep enjoying the quinua and Quechua!

1 comment:

  1. I love you, love you, love you. And can't wait to see you so soon. And linked to you on my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete