Wednesday, August 12, 2009

inocentes

As unbelievable as it sounds, I have already been to TWO baby showers in Andahuaylas since I got here about a month ago! I don’t think I’ve ever been to one before coming here. It has been so much fun to take part in the festivities, which in some ways are just the same as I imagine they would be in the States … and in other ways are very different. For one thing, I was surprised to find out that Peruvians, too, call it a baby shower … and had to laugh when people asked me what it means in English, because I realized that I have no idea why we call it a baby “shower”! Also really funny that the sign on the wall at one of them read “Babi Shawer.”

One of the baby showers I went to was about 2 weeks ago, and the baby was born on Monday! My coworker Carolina had a c-section and here is a picture of her beautiful baby girl, Andrea Mercedes. I got to go to the hospital yesterday to visit her. It was precious to watch her big sister and her daddy interact with baby Andrea as well. I was just amazed at the miracle of life.






































What a tragedy to get news of the death of Wheaton College student Alex Heidengren the same day that precious Andrea was born. I feel so far from the situation, but I am praying for the Wheaton community and especially for his family and Jon, his older brother, my “brother” from Fischer days. As joyful as it is that I have gotten to go to 2 baby showers, I have also been given the opportunity to go to 2 wakes already in my time here, as well. As life begins for one, it ends for another, it seems. As some rejoice in the gift of a new child, others grieve at the loss of another. There is so much I don’t understand about life and death.

In Spanish, sometimes the word INOCENTE is used to describe children, babies, and those whose minds are still “clean,” as it was explained to me. I started thinking about this in terms of “children of God,” and it just seems so fitting that when we become His children, we become His INOCENTES! We are “reborn,” as baby Andrea was born … and we are proclaimed INOCENTE once again.

Want to share with you some precious pictures of some INOCENTES that I’ve had the pleasure of interacting with over the last few weeks. There is something about children that just puts a smile on my face. I’ve been so glad to be around so many pregnant ladies, babies, and children here! I think I really missed that dynamic of real life while I was constantly in the company of peers at Wheaton.










(the one below is of a new father with his 1-day-old baby! He was so excited, it was the cutest thing ever)

















































As always, thank you for your support and encouragement and prayers while I am here. After my last blog post I have heard from several people that they are worried about me … but I want to reassure you that, as I struggle here, I am becoming more and more certain that I am supposed to be here. I am learning so much … and I am so thankful for the opportunity to be here, as difficult as it is sometimes (no joke, someone JUST came up to me and told me they are worried about my pimples! Again!). God has a plan for my time in Peru … and for my life.

Miss and love you all!!
Muchos abrazos electronicos … Christine

2 comments:

  1. I love these parent-child pictures! thanks for your own heart-sharing. Tienes corazón de inocente, Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love los inocentes tambien! And, just FYI, in case you were curious, the reason we call them Baby "Showers" and Bridal "Showers" is because we "shower" the person (mother-to-be, bride-to-be) with gifts that they will need for the new phase of life. How fun that you got to experience those in another culture!

    ReplyDelete